Tapeta Success In 2009
Dubai World Cup, Nad al Sheba. March 2009
Owners of horses trained on Tapeta collected $9 million in purses of an available $21 million in ONE day
. From the 41 trainers represented, only 2 of them trained exclusively on Tapeta, winning 2 EACH (4) of the 6 races
.Presque Isle Downs, Pennsylvania, USA
There were only 4 fatalities in 2008 during 6 months of racing (5677 starters) AND training
."I have never heard one negative comment on it and I've been a racing official for 25 years. I have never seen a surface as good as this one. We have by far one of the lowest breakdown rates in the country and everyone is pleased to be here. Virtually every stable who was here last year re-applied."
- Dave Frizzell, Racing secretary at Presque Isle Downs, PA
(as reported by ESPN)"It's low maintenance and our breakdown rate last year was the lowest in the country with only four breakdowns for 5,677 starters."
- Jon Moss, Pennsylvania HBPA
(as reported by ESPN)Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland, USA
Installed a Tapeta track 3 years ago and horses trained there have amassed earnings of $53 million since 2007
. In August 2009, the Graham Motion trained “Bullsbay” won the 82nd running of the Grade 1 Whitney Handicap at Saratoga.Recent Media Quotes"Tapeta is the safest racing surface anywhere"
- Dick Powell, Brisnet "To me, Tapeta seems superior to other synthetic track versions - which should come as no surprise, since Michael Dickinson is essentially the godfather of such surfaces and knows more about them than anyone in the world."
- Randy Moss, ESPN "Interestingly, there have been few complaints about the Tapeta surface at Golden Gate."
- Jay Hovdey, Daily Racing Form Mark Johnston - Yorkshire, England
Mark Johnston is the current leading trainer in the UK by number of winners. He installed a Tapeta track last autumn and is experiencing his best season ever. He has trained 184 winners this year (as of 9/25/09) including 2 at Royal Ascot and 5 at Glorious Goodwood with no claimers. He is well on his way to shattering the all time UK record of 188 winners. Quote from John Passero
"After dealing with dirt tracks for many years, I have recently become involved with synthetic tracks. I absolutely love the Tapeta track which we have just installed at the famous Sagamore Farm. The Tapeta is consistent and went down well. It only took 5 days to install and we were breezing on it 2 days later. The track was very lively, had lots of bounce, the horses seemed to like it and the trainer gives me the big thumbs up on a daily basis. The maintenance is far, far less than a conventional dirt track. It is only a matter of time before synthetic tracks replace dirt tracks."
- John Passero
- 18 years director of racing surfaces for the Maryland Jockey Club,
- 4 years track superintendent at Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga
- 10 years track superintendent at Arlington Park.